.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Refrigerator Magnets from recycled gift cards

 


Each year, we get several gift cards on birthdays, anniversary and holidays. Each time I am done using the gift card, I feel bad about just throwing the plastic card away since it's not bio-degradable. So recently, I decided to mix reuse with education.
I have decided that each time we have a used up gift card , we are going to make a country flag magnet out of it. The kids will have a  fun activity to do while you can take the time to tell them about that country and then even challange them to a quiz later on.

The gift cards are the perfect size and shape for it. And you can make the magnet several diff ways. For example, for the USA magnet, I painted the card with 3 coats of white acryclic paint and then painted the design. Whereas, in the India magnet, I used pieces of craft foam to make the design. You can also use paper cutouts and cover with a layer of mod podge.

Have fun with these and don't forget to send me pictures of your magnets.
Shilpa

No comments:

Post a Comment